Standard Operating Environment
In order to improve your computing experience at UWS, ITS introduced a standard operating environment (SOE) for installation on most University computers. The current SOE is based on Windows 7 (64 bit) and Office 2010.
Benefits of the SOE include:
- Single login/password for many systems
- Documents accessible at any standard networked computer across UWS
- Units/schools able to use shared network folders to share documents across campuses
- Improved network security
- Full support from ITS
- Remote assistance by IT support, if required
- Packaged software able to be delivered automatically across the UWS network
- Ability to print to any network printer at any campus
- Calendar sharing
When a new SOE is introduced, the older SOE is no longer supplied with new computers. Support for older SOEs persists until the last computers supplied with the SOE reach the end of their lease. ITS support for the original Windows XP SOE ends 6 July 2012. ITS support for Windows Vista is expected to continue until early 2015.
Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 (64 bit)
Office suite - Microsoft Office 2010
Previous (expires 2015):
Operating System - Microsoft Windows Vista
Office suite - Microsoft Office 2007
Original (expires July 2012):
Operating System - Microsoft Windows XP
Office suite - Microsoft Office 2003
For all SOEs:
System login credentials - your MyUWSAccount
Antivirus and personal firewall software is provided.
Most other commonly used software at UWS is packaged and delivered across the internal network for installation, which allows users to self install packaged software without assistance from support staff.
Staff are able to access their files from any UWS networked standard computers.
After internal testing, relevant service packs and patches are automatically installed on standard machines.